Sport News
latest news

Fans Arrested Following Violence on Napoli and Eintracht Frankfurt Match


As a result of the violence that broke out between supporters of Eintracht Frankfurt and Napoli before and after their Champions League match, eight football fans have been taken into custody.

Following the riots that occurred on Wednesday, the police in Naples claimed that they had detained five Napoli fans and three German supporters.

After disturbances at the first game in Germany, residents of Frankfurt were barred from attending the second leg of the round of 16, but hundreds nevertheless traveled to Italy to see the game.

Juan Jesus, a defender for Napoli, stated that it was impossible to still see this in the year 2023.

"It's not good for the city, and it's not good for soccer either. It is unfortunate that people come, destroy, and then depart; this cycle is not productive, and we are saddened to witness these sights."

According to Alessandro Giuliano, who is responsible for public safety in Naples, there were a total of six injured police officers as a result of the skirmishes.

According to what he said during a news conference, the police are searching through photographs to try to identify the 470 German fans who stayed in the city. They are also trying to determine who was responsible for the unrest.

The initial confrontations took place on Wednesday afternoon in Naples, and they continued after the match, which Napoli won easily by a score of 3-0 and which advanced them to the quarterfinals of the Champions League for the first time in their history.

Tear gas was used as a response by the police after being attacked with smoke bombs and flares, chairs, bottles, and metal poles.

After some time had passed, Italian media captured footage of Napoli fans throwing objects at buses transporting Eintracht fans. The mayor of Naples, Gaetano Manfredi, condemned the "unacceptable" violence that had taken place.

As a result of the turmoil that broke out during the initial meeting between the two parties in February, nine people were taken into custody.